header image

Good Timing

Crisis averted:  dev machine is back in action.   Turned out it was bad RAM (even though I tested it and it got no complaints)….after three complete reinstalls and 5 days, I got things working again.

I want to thank a few users out there that donated some cash to me during that episode to get things going.  You can’t imagine how huge that is for me, both in monetary terms as well as spiritual ones!  It almost covered the cost of the fix, and put me in a good mood besides…when I made the comment about donating, I really thought I was going to have to purchase an entire new machine, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have made it.  In any case, it’s nice to know that my work is valuable in a monetary sense 🙂

I’ve been steadily testing out the new release for the last week or more, and making little fixes here and there as I find them.  The most time consuming thing for me has been getting hex debugged, and fixing the new timing engine in the MaxLooper plugin so that it syncs up perfectly.  I think I finally accomplished that last night, so we’re ready to go if things work as well when I get home tonight and test everything again.

I think most of you that were chomping at the bit for b994 already have it in your hands now, but just in case you were left out, you can always drop me some mail and I’ll send you a link to the prerelease.  I’ve heard good reports from most of you.  It seems like the most consistent negative report I’ve gotten is that the installer isn’t finding file locations automatically.  Win7_64 bit seems to be the big culprit here, and unfortunately I don’t have a current installation of this (actually, all my windows installs got scrubbed with the dev machine difficulties I had last week, and I’ve just finally finished getting everything mostly back up and running in that regard).  I did get a copy of Win8, though, so I’m going to see if I can make some time to install that and hopefully come up with a solution for both systems.

I’ve not really heard anything regarding Mountain Lion, but I recently made a VM install of it so I can hopefully do some testing soon.  I probably won’t get to it before the release, though, so if you have any input please let me hear it!

Bottom line:  you’ll see b994 public before the weekend is over, “promise”.  I’ll continue to update b994 as I come up with more bugfixes, an update for the installer to bring back SVN support for those of you that want to edit this stuff and can’t open the frozen files, and possibly some new ports of requested patches if time allows.


—In other news:  big changes/improvements coming with Monomodular and Live9.  If any of you are beta-testing Live9, shoot me some mail.  I’ve gotten things working in a preliminary fashion with a couple of the scripts, so rest assured we won’t get left out in the cold with the new update!  And the good news is that only the backend will need to be changed…the m4l stuff seems to work out of the box.

I probably will make one more revision of Monomodular for Live8, which will be bugfixes and improvements to the existing scripts.  You will see a crossplatform solution for multichannel MIDI in b995 which doesn’t require any externals, as it seems like this situation isn’t going to get addressed with Live9.  This will probably be a replacement for the (clumsy) NomeOut system….I haven’t decided whether to leave lh_midi support in or not, and I’d love to hear some opinions from anyone who is using it.  Personally, I will probably switch over to the new scheme if it works as well as it appears to with initial testing, so unless anyone protests I will most likely remove the old stuff for the sake of simplicity.



~ by amounra on November 7, 2012.


Leave a Reply